Free festive family fun!
There are lots of fun, free festive events taking place in the run up to Christmas, from light switch-ons to panto previews and lantern parades. Find something happening in your area!
* There’s a full day of fun in the run up to the Congleton Christmas lights switch-on on Saturday, November 23. Fairground rides, street entertainment, Santa’s grotto and much more will be along the high street and town hall from 12pm to 4pm, with a grand lantern procession from 5pm and lights switch on at 5. 30pm!
* There will be free Christmas street party events in Runcorn (from 12pm to 3pm on Saturday, November 30) and Widnes (from 4pm to 7pm on Friday, December 6), plus Widnes’s much-loved Panto in the Park event takes place on Sunday, December 1 between 12pm and 3pm in Victoria Park.
* The 12 Days of Christmas parade starts at Chester town hall at 7pm on Thursday, November 21. There are also two Winter Watch parades around the town from 7pm on December 5 and 12. It’s a tradition dating back to the 1400s - expect angels, devils, fire breathing, giant skeletons and much more!
* Football legend John Barnes is switching on the Christmas lights in Birkenhead’s Hamilton Square at 6pm on Sunday, November 24. Before that, there will be music, song and performances for the whole family to enjoy as the town celebrates its new festive lights and decorations.
* Everyone is welcome to the festive carol service at Liverpool’s Catholic Cathedral from 5pm on December 22, with mulled wine and mince pies afterwards. It’s free – just turn up.
* LUMEN – Crewe’s Night of Lights (pictured below) is a magical free evening event on Saturday, November 23 from 5pm to 8pm. There will be a ange of light shows, projections and a lantern parade after the 6.30 lights switch on.
* Organisers of this year's Alsager's Christmas Lights Switch-On have promised it will be bigger and better than ever before. This year's event will take place on Sunday November 25, starting with the Christmas market official opening at 4pm by Fiona Bruce MP.
* Christmas of Tales is a festive event in Ormskirk with a difference, with storytellers and entertainment all day on Sunday, November 24 before the lights switch on at 5.30pm.
* Watch out for all the fun of Neston’s Christmas lights switch-on on Saturday, November 30.
* The giant Santa from an historic city department store is on display at the Museum of Liverpool, which is always FREE to enter! Santa, standing at more than 5 metres tall, was an attraction at Blackler’s Winter Wonderland Grotto between 1957 and 1988.