How to Rent

All you need to know to find a new home, in an area that's right for you.

Our Lettings Service during the Coronavirus Crisis

We are currently following guidance from Government that instructs Housing Associations and Local Authorities to only let homes at this time if it is absolutely essential to do so.

The guidance lists essential circumstances as the following:

  • Supporting a victim of domestic abuse

  • Facilitating a move on from temporary accommodation

  • Preventing severe overcrowding

  • Facilitating discharge from hospital

  • Supporting those living in accommodation which poses a risk to their health.


Finding a home

If you’re looking for a home to rent, you will firstly need to register online with your Local Authority Choice Based Lettings (CBL) Scheme:

If you live in Halton, Liverpool, Sefton, Wirral or Knowsley, click here.

If you live in Cheshire East, click here.

If you live in Cheshire West & Cheshire, click here.

If you live in West Lancs, click here.

Once registered you will be placed in a band that reflects your housing needs and you will able to bid on available properties in the area of your choice.

If you have been served with a notice to leave your home you should contact your Local Authority Homeless Team.

Before you Bid

Before you bid there are some important things you need to be aware of. Work through the list to see what you need to do.

Do you have the money to move? 

Before you bid, you need to make sure you have enough  money saved.  You will need to provide a weeks rent in advance plus cover the cost of any removals and any furniture you may need. A typical weekly rent can vary between £90 to £140 per week so you should ensure you have this money before you place a bid.

If you are on housing benefit or Universal Credit, our helpful benefit and budgeting calculators can support you to see if you can afford to live in the area you want. 

Identification and evidence

Anyone over 18 living in your home will need to provide identification. UK residents will need to provide their birth certificate, national insurance number or passport.  Those from outside the UK will need to provide passports, national identify cards or home office letters. We will take copies of your documentation.


We require references from all previous landlords for the past 5 years and in some cases we may ask for up to 10 years. If you have not held a tenancy before we may ask for an employer or other relevant character reference.

If you have a private tenancy you will need to give your current landlord notice that you intend to move out before they will be able to provide you with a reference. 

Applying for the right home

You need to make sure you apply for the right home in an area you want to live so make sure you read the adverts carefully before you bid.  If you bid on a property then decide it’s in the wrong area or not the property you want this will count as a refusal. If  you exceed the number of refusals allowed for your band your registration qualifying date will be changed.

Once you have been housed you will not be able to apply for a new tenancy for 12 months.


We will carry out an interview with you – either by phone or in the office.  This will take around 30 minutes and we will ask you to be open and honest about your past and current circumstances. As part of the interview we will carry out a credit check and a financial assessment to help understand whether you have the income to meet you rent. We will also ask you to provide identification if not already on file and we may take photographs of your ID.

Viewing Properties

You will need to be available at short notice to view potential properties. If you are not able to view we will unfortunately have to move on to the next applicant and if you have a private tenancy you will need to give your current landlord notice that you intend to move.

Homes Available Now

You can contact us directly if you’re interested in any properties we have promoted on website using our online form


Most of our homes are unfurnished and we do not provide flooring, white goods or blinds. Should you require assistance for furniture, you may be able to apply for a furniture package via your local authority. If any carpets, blinds or curtains have been left by the outgoing tenant we are happy to leave them for you if they are of good condition and these will become your possessions at the time of sign up.