Safeguarding Statement - How we deal with reports of concern for the wellbeing of others
Plus Dane takes the safety and wellbeing of our customers, colleagues and partners very seriously. We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all individuals who seek our housing and support services. As part of our dedication to safeguarding, we have implemented robust procedures to address and respond to any reports of welfare concerns promptly and effectively.
What is safeguarding?
Safeguarding means protecting children, young people and adults from abuse, risk of abuse, exploitation, neglect, or self-neglect. Everyone has the right to live a life free from abuse
Types of abuse
Abuse or neglect can be defined in many ways and may fall under multiple abuse types. Examples include:
- Child abuse
- Discriminatory abuse
- Domestic abuse
- Emotional/psychologic abuse
- Financial abuse
- Modern slavery
- Neglect and self neglect
- Organisational abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
We believe that anyone living in our homes and neighbourhoods has a right to live in safety, free from abuse. Our policy sets out our aims, how the policy links to our corporate plan, our objectives, our compliance and more.
This safeguarding statement, specifically outlines our approach to how we deal with reports of concerns for the safety of individuals and has been produced as a new addition to our full Safeguarding Policy. The full safeguarding policy was published in 2020 and is scheduled to be reviewed in 2024. As part of that review the new policy will reflect and include this new safeguarding statement.
How we deal with reports of housing concerns - Our approach:
- Confidential reporting: We encourage individuals to report any concerns they may have about someone living in one of our homes. If you think you or someone you know is being abused, exploited, or neglected, please tell someone. Don’t hesitate. By reporting it you may prevent it from happening.
- How to report: We provide multiple channels for reporting, including in-person, phone, and email, ensuring that individuals can choose the method they feel most comfortable with. All reports are treated with the utmost confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0800 169 2988 Our lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday
- Call 999 if either you, or you believe someone else, is in immediate danger
- Trained colleagues: Plus Dane colleagues undergo comprehensive training on safeguarding and recognising signs of concerns for the welfare of individuals. They are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to respond appropriately and compassionately to reports, ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our customers.
- Immediate response: As soon as we receive a report of concern for the welfare of someone, we take immediate action to assess the situation and address any immediate risks or concerns. Our priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all individuals involved.
- Collaboration with authorities: When necessary, we work closely with relevant authorities, such as local police, fire services or local authorities, including social services, to investigate and address any reported welfare concerns to us. We work with all relevant agencies and provide all necessary support to ensure the safety and protection of our customers.
- Supportive services: We offer a range of supportive services to individuals who have reported welfare concerns to us. This may include access to counselling, legal advice, welfare, wellbeing, or referrals to other specialised agencies or organizations that can provide additional support.
- Ongoing monitoring and review: We continuously monitor and review our safeguarding policy and procedures to ensure they remain effective and up to date. We actively seek feedback from individuals who have reported concerns to identify areas for improvement and implement necessary changes.
Our commitment to safeguarding extends to all aspects of our services including our general needs properties, sheltered and supported housing properties and leasehold and shared ownership properties. We strive to create an environment where individuals feel safe, respected, and supported. By working together with our customers, colleagues, partners and relevant authorities, we aim to prevent and address any welfare concerns promptly and effectively.
If you have any questions or would like further information about our safeguarding policy, procedures, statements, and approach, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The safety and wellbeing of our customers and colleagues are our top priority.
Plus Dane Safeguarding Team